Friday, January 10, 2014

A little more than a splinter...

On New Years Eve day I was taking down all of our Christmas decorations and putting the house back together. The boys were home and helping me which was great!  After everything was put away I was just getting ready to vaccum and immediately felt like I had stepped on a tack or nail.  I was so glad it was me and not one of the boys.  When I felt in the carpet I found a half broken tooth pick.  My toe was bleeding and sore but I could not find any thing in it. I just thought I got jabbed with the toothpick.  

Then about 3 hours later my toe was throbbing and super sore.  I tried all the tricks you see on pinterest to remove a splinter but nothing seemed to help.  I decided that I would call a foot doctor on Jan 2nd.  Then on New Years it started to feel much better.  I showed my mom and she said that if there was a splinter in there it would work its way out and just to let my body heal.  So I did not go to the doctor.   On Wednesday night while we were at the office taking showers I started to inspect my toe.  It looked like I could just squeeze the splinter out.  I started to do that when Kevin suggested he "numb' my toe so I could get in their a little better.  I think he was joking but I totally insisted.  We scrubbed it up and got sterile tweezers.  I had to beg Kevin to give me the carbocaine in my toe. Immediately it went numb and I was able to pull out the splinter.  Let's just say it was a lot bigger than I thought.  Here is the wound after the splinter came out.
 Here is the splinter…OR the entire end of the toothpick! FOR REAL! I never imagined that was in my toe.  Kevin felt terrible because he thought I was over exaggerating my pain that first couple of days.
This ones a little blurry but here's the pic of the splinter next to my toe.  You can see Kevin with the bandaid and antibiotic ointment in the back ground. Hilarious!  Glad it is out. My toe felt 100% better once I got it out.
That was my little excitement for the night! We now have a rule that all toothpicks must say on the kitchen table or in the trash.  The boys were making cabins out of the toothpicks & marshmallows which is why one was still in my carpet.  Again, I am thrilled this happened to me and not one of the guys!

No comments:

Post a Comment